French toast! I loved them, but not the high-fat full of sugar kind. I’m all about finding swaps to classic confort food to the healthy version. Usually French toast are made with butter, whole milk, white bread and sugar, ugh! that’s like 500 calories per slice!
With some adjustments you can make a perfect soft and fluffy in the middle, crispy around the edges French toast healthier and lower in calories, without compromising on flavour. You can serve them with fresh strawberries and drizzled with maple syrup or pure honey and it’s a proper French toast.
The Healthy swaps:
Firstly, I’m using whole wheat bread or even better Ezequiel. We get more fiber, and that helps to absorb the sugar slowly, and that’s a plus!
Second, there’s no need to add any sugar to your eggs, because we are serving it with fresh fruit and syrup. That makes it taste plenty sweet enough.
Third, these are cooked with just a couple of sprays of oil, instead of a full glug poured straight from the bottle.
Fourth, I use almond milk instead of whole milk, and that saves us some calories and add good fats
This healthier French toast tastes just as good as the full-fat, full-sugar version. Served with with fresh fruit (blueberries and bananas are also yummy on French toast).
Serves: 2 (2 slices each)
Prep Time: 5 min. Cooking Time: 15min.
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
4 slices low-sodium whole-grain bread (I like Ezekiel® bread)
1 cup diced Strawberries
- Combine almond milk, eggs, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk until smooth. Transfer to a shallow pan or plate.
- Dip each slice of bread into almond milk mixture, soaking for 10 seconds on each side. Drain excess egg mixture.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly coat skillet with cooking spray (I like coconut spray). Cook two slices of bread for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Repeat for the 2 slices left.
- Serve with ½ cup of Strawberries and enjoy!
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving):
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 54 g
Fiber: 8 g
Sugars: 19 g
Protein: 15 g
Stay Active, Eat Healthy and Feel Amazing!